Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ya mismo


One of the three goals of the Peace Corps is “helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.”  This means that I should introduce my family and friends in the US to Ecuadorian culture, like by writing a blog (check!), having people come visit me here (hopefully check!) and of course, bringing some Ecua culture back to the states with me.  Some volunteers go all out and bring back a real live host country national as a spouse.  I’m not willing to commit to that kind of cultural exchange, but there are definitely some things I plan to implement back in the States.
 
First, I am a big fan of the hammocks.  Everybody in my town has hammocks.  Inside, outside, in place of furniture in the living room.. There are even several hammocks for public use near the cancha.  They are cheap (only about $7!) and so comfortable.  Plus, you can just put a baby in the hammock with some pillows around it and leave it there all day! Ok, well that part might not fly in the US.  But the kids seem happy enough, and why wouldn’t they be? They get to hang in a hammock all day!

Another thing I would like to popularize in the US is the batido.  This deliciously refreshing smoothie is just fresh fruit, milk, ice and sugar blended into a frothy goodness and sometimes accompanied by some fresh fruit on top.  Of course, Ecuador does have better fresh fruit than the US does, but I still believe the batido would be a hit and a cheaper alternative to Jamba Juice.

There are also certain phrases I plan on using when I end my service.  I’m looking forward to being fluent (or close-to) in Spanish, and I obviously want to use all of the fun Ecua-lingo I’ve been picking up.  A few favorites include chévere (cool), no hay (there isn’t any/we’re out/you are S.O.L.), and my favorite, ya mismo.  Ya mismo is a great general term used when you are talking about an indefinite amount of time.  It means not right now, but soon. Or at some point, but I can’t tell you when.  It also usually comes with a “don’t worry about it” tone built-in.  Some favorite usages:

Me: “Excuse me, when is the ranchera coming?”
The ranchera will always arrive ya mismo.
Response: [Shrug] “Ya mismo.”
This means it could be between 5 minutes and 2 hours, so just have a seat and enjoy a batido while you wait.

Me, to a cashier at the banco de barrio: “Oh, you are out of money… When might you get some money so that I can make a withdrawl?”
Response: “Ya mismo.”
This could be between several hours and a few days, so go find another ATM.

My host sister, Monica: “Daniela, why don’t you ever play soccer with us?”
Me: “I will, you just have to tell me when.  So... When do you think you ladies will play again?”
Monica: “Ya mismo.”
This could mean today, this weekend, or several weeks from now.  So just be ready.

My host mom in Tumbaco, to my host brother: “Miguel! Come eat dinner!”
Miguel: “Ya mismo!”
This usually meant “I’ll come eat just as soon as everyone else is done, so that I don’t have to talk to anyone else.”  Methinks the language of teenage boys translates pretty directly across most cultures.

So I really can’t wait to put this phrase into use in the US.  I fully encourage my readers to start now.  Your boss asks you for that report.. Ya mismo! Your students ask when their lab reports will be graded.. Ya mismo! Your landlord asks for your rent.. Ok, maybe you shouldn’t “ya mismo” your landlord, but I think you get my meaning here.  If anyone gets upset at this response, just throw in a “tranquilo!” to calm them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment