Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I’ve got a fever…


…and unfortunately, it couldn’t be cured with more cowbell.  That would have been awesome though.

There really isn’t a cure for the fever I had last week, which was of the dengue variety.  If you don’t know about dengue fever, I hope what you read here will be all you will ever have to know.  Dengue starts with a mosquito and ends in days of pain and torture.  They didn’t use to call it “the breakbone fever” for nothing, let me tell you.  For me, it started with a headache and some neck and body stiffness.  I thought I just slept wrong.  The next day, the headache was worse and I was getting hot and cold flashes.  At the height of a hot flash, I went and took a cold shower (the only kind of shower we have).  That’s when I noticed the rash.  Chest, arms, neck, and top of legs.  Hmm. This got me to thinking.  I did feel a little warm… Yep, fever of 102.  Ok, something was up.

Later, as I lay in bed burning up (temp of 104 at this time) and shivering, every muscle and joint aching, Sarah walked in.  She is staying with me temporarily while her new housing gets approved, but had been in Quito for a few days and missed the onset of my sickness.  First thing she says to me: “Hey. Your face looks really swollen.  And you are red.”  True, and true.  After consulting a PCV with internet access and later, the PC doctor, I found that all symptoms indicated I had dengue fever.  The whole coast is pretty much dengue-central, so not surprising I got it since I get bitten by mosquitoes ALL the time.  What’s more surprising is that it took me this long, really.  Ok, so I had a diagnosis.  What now?  Well, all you can do for dengue is… nothing.  Take Tylenol for the fever and pain (didn’t make a dent in the pain, let me tell you), drink lots of water, and sleep.  Well, I drank a ton, but the thought of having to get up and walk down stairs to the bathroom every few hours hung in the back of my mind with every gulp.  I ate practically nothing, watched a half dozen bad movies (and some good ones too) and spent about 23.5 hours a day in my bed for 5 days straight. 

It’s now been 10 days since the onset, and I am feeling much better- although the headache is lingering.  I never got the blood test to confirm it was dengue, since the lab to give my blood sample is an hour away in Atacames and I was in no shape to either walk to the bus stop or sit on a bus for any length of time (and they wouldn’t have been able to do anything about it anyways- I was doing everything there was to do), but I still feel confident that that’s what it was.  So does my host mom, who wasted no time at all pulling out her aguardiente (sugar cane alcohol) to put on my skin and cool me down.  It actually works, for a few minutes, but even alcohol of this proof is no match for “the breakbone fever.”  So there you have it- my first, real-life, tropical, third-world disease.  I had to get at least one…May it be my last.  I so would have rather had a tapeworm.

No comments:

Post a Comment